Thursday, June 09, 2005

Whew, I made it through Day 1

So I wouldn't go stir crazy, I decided to just spend most of my evening researching other anti-TV sites online and reading articles in support of my mission. Out of habit, I found myself (several times) going downstairs into the family room to ask my wife what she was doing. Invariably, her answer was, "Watching [fill in the name of any show here]." The urge to just plop my butt on the floor and watch TV with her was truly overwhelming. I actually felt anxious and nervous like I just didn't know what to do with myself.

Sad...

I even went down there once and laid on the floor looking out into the back yard for a while so I could talk to my wife and avoid looking at the TV. Of course, I could still hear it and that felt very uncomfortable to me.

Anyway, forcing myself back to the research, I found this interesting page about another guy named Dave who apparently gave up TV back in 1998. His "contact me" link is broken, so I haven't been able to email him to see if he is still TV-free. Dave has a few funny cartoons on his page, but I really liked this one since it reminds me so much of Michele and I.


(click the picture for a larger view)

Is that too funny or what! I'm sure it accurately depicts how about 98% of Americans watch TV every night. If you think about it, there really isn't anything worth watching, but we do it anyway.

Why????

I'm going to attempt to figure it out and share my new found knowledge with the world via this blog. For now, I'm going to bed...

No comments: