Sunday, June 19, 2005

Day 11 - Fathers Day, and still TV-Free!

Well, it's been 11 days since I started this little adventure and I'm still 99.95% TV-Free. Of course I pulled that percentage out of thin air, but I'm just figuring .05% will account for the movies (didn't really want to count them anyway) and all the times I unconsciously glanced at the TV or watched an entire show like "7th Heaven".

Confession time... Last night I went downstairs around 10pm with one of the books I'm reading and sat down on the love seat. Michele was already fast asleep on the couch after another long afternoon up in Michigan looking at properties. As you probably guessed, the TV was on and the remote was sitting within arms reach of Michele. For some reason, I figured I could sit there in the same room and read my book without being distracted by the tube. Boy was I wrong! Next thing I know, Billy Gillman (remember him?) was on some show singing one of his new songs. Well let me tell ya', this kid has an AMAZING voice and I couldn't help but be drawn to it. I sat there for at least 5 or 6 minutes watching the TV as Billy performed his song. As soon as he finished, I jumped up and turned it off.

I think I'm actually doing pretty good on this TV fast, considering how addicted I am to the thing! A few moments of weakness are to be expected, right? C'mon, I need some assurance!

The absolute hardest part for me is still trying to figure out what to do with myself when I'm not watching the idiot box. Despite the fact that I have 4 gazzilion things on my "to do" list, I still find myself pacing around, upstairs, downstairs, back and forth and really doing a whole lot of nothing. Oh sure, I'm thinking about my list, but I just can't get into a good project yet. I suppose it's a little too early and I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Once the really strong withdrawal symptoms pass, I'm sure the situation will improve on it's own.

Oh wait, I did do one good thing yesterday... I washed and vacuumed my car, renewed my license plates (remember my birthday was last week) and took it over to an empty lot on a really busy road nearby to advertise the fact that it's for sale. I even put my bike in the back seat so I'd be forced to get some exercise by riding home. Michele has been bugging me for at least a couple weeks to get it out so people can see it. Once it sells, we're going to buy an older, inexpensive used car that my daughter and I can share.

Well, that's enough typing for today... For all you fathers out there - HAPPY FATHERS DAY! I'm going out to breakfast with my family.

No comments: