Sunday, June 12, 2005

Is Television OK as a Teaching Tool?

I almost forgot to mention... Last night after my final post, I remembered a DVD I received in the mail from an investing company. It is basically a seminar about technical analysis and their system for stock and options trading. I wanted to watch it and the only way was to use the television and DVD player.

I wasn't really tired anyway, so I went downstairs and politely asked Michele if I could use the TV. Keep in mind it was well after 11:30pm and she was still watching the darn thing! She said it was fine, so I quickly popped my DVD in being careful not to absorb any of the brain rot she was watching.

Needless to say, the DVD was extremely boring and I was dozing off about 15 minutes into it. I turned off the DVD player and the TV and decided to just go to bed.

So is the TV is OK as a teaching tool when you need to watch a DVD or VHS tape? The library has lots of great educational stuff on video and I'm always picking up something to watch. What about just watching a movie for purely entertainment purposes?

Personally, I think it's definitely OK as a teaching tool, and probably OK for watching pre-recorded movies for entertainment as long as you don't abuse it. I mean, I could rent and watch 2 or 3 movies per night, and that would be just as bad as mindlessly channel surfing for the same amount of time. As with most things, I suppose moderation is the key.

No comments: