Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Strong Signs of Addiction Starting to Show!

After mowing the grass and eating some dinner, I was left all alone in the house because my wife had to take the kids to a concert. I checked my email and surfed the net for a few minutes, Then I went downstairs and found myself wandering around, looking out the windows, wandering some more, wandering, looking, wandering... Ultimately I laid down on the family room floor to crack my back. Ah! That hurt so good!

As I lay there on the floor, I started to think about all the reasons why this whole "kick the TV thing" is a dumb idea. In my head, I was criticizing my blog, telling myself nobody cares, trying to convince myself that watching TV isn't really so bad, realizing I'll never stick to it anyway, and so on. I mean, c'mon, what's the point? What's so terrible about watching a little TV??

Whoa Nelly! Is that a classic addiction thought pattern or what? I've never been through any 12-step programs for anything, but I have done enough reading to know I have a real problem! I damn near had myself talked out of all this foolishness and was ready to turn on the tube and settle in for some nice channel surfing.

Thankfully, I came to my senses for 2 seconds, flipped on the stereo, and headed back upstairs to tell my blog what an idiot I am.

Before submitting this post, I decided to do a little research on "TV Addiction". Google spit back a little over 2 million hits on that phrase! Not everything in the top 20 or so hits was worth looking at, but I did find the following two items I recommend you read. The first article in particular gave me a good chuckle because it mentions the show, "7th Heaven". If you recall from the other day, that's what I watched in my moment of weakness. :-)

Check out Breaking the TV Addiction. It's a quick read. Then move on to the next link.

Now this one is great! Some guy named Vikar has a website with a bunch of stuff he calls his "rants". He has about three full pages of his "rants" on TV addiction and some progress reports on his own attempts at giving up the boob tube. Most of it felt as though he was telling my story. I gotta email this guy!

No comments: