Saturday, July 22, 2006

Day 1 - Survived a night without the idiot box

Well, I made it through last night, which I'm considering to be Day 1 in my new anti-TV campaign. As I look ahead, I almost dread all the symptoms I'm going to encounter as I attempt this again. The nervousness, fidgiting, wondering what to do with my time... It's much more difficult that most might imagine, especially if you aren't addicted to TV.

Anyway, I ate dinner away from the tube, and then did some reading and made a few updates to my website. Then I spent about an hour talking to my wife. It was quite nice, and I really didn't miss the TV at all. but then again, the withdrawal doesn't really set in until about the 3rd day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey eDave, Congratulations!

It took me about a year of reducing my
TV watching before pretty much not watching
at all.

Unfortunately my husband still watches,
although a lot less, and mostly shows
that I have no interest in. Unfortunately
every now and then I do get briefly sucked
back in.

One thing that I found very helpful was
having having music on most of the time
while at home. After a lifetime of
TV watching, it's hard to deal with silence
(maybe that's why so many shops and offices
have music playing in the background).

Also, I setup this anti-tv website:

www.tvsmarter.com

In case you need any inspiration!

Maria Palma said...

Congrats! I went cold turkey and didn't watch TV for a month. I discovered how much more productive and happier I am without it. Plus, I'm no longer buying into the idea that I have to have everything that the commercials say I have to have!

However, I did watch a little last night... a few episodes of "The Brady Bunch" - better than MTV! *smile*

Anonymous said...

Good luck for your efforts!

A good idea in my mind is to write down everyday the amount watched in minutes- if this results in a long list of Zeros thats great, but also if sometimes one is not strong enough to not watch at all you still have each day the remembrance that you have failed and what you wanted to archive. This sounds negative at first, but it leads to a higher motivation to become better- like in "this time i made it three days without TV, even though i miserably failed on day 4..." (by the way: what you say about the third day is very true- its crucial in my opinion). Maybe this is not the way to go cold turkey, but it might be a way to make that project a continuous one and maybe expand it to cold turkey. And by the way: This is day 5 without TV for me. I'll probably fail again, but these days without wasting time by watching can't be taken away anymore. Temporary failure should not discourage you, just stand up again and keep fighting.

kind regards